Forrester Predicts IoT, AI, AR, And VR Will Change The Tech World By 2021
September 12, 2016
Forrester identified 15 emerging technologies that will change consumer expectations and the way businesses operate over the next five years. In a new report summarizing this research, Forrester ranks each technology based on disruptive potential and the competitive advantage the technology will provide businesses.
Of the 15 technologies selected, five have been identified as having the potential to change the tech world by 2021. These include:
- Internet-of-things (IoT) software and solutions. IoT will be driving new levels of customer insight and engagement for some by 2021, but technology diversity and the need for organizational changes will still stymie or delay many firms.
- Intelligent agents. Intelligent agents and related robots will have eliminated a net 6% of jobs by 2021.
- Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR). By 2021, AR will be commonplace, while VR remains niche.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and cognitive technology. Solutions powered by AI/cognitive technology will displace jobs with the biggest impact felt in transportation, logistics, customer service, and consumer services.
- Hybrid wireless. 5G will be rolling out by 2021, creating a high-bandwidth cellular backbone to support IoT devices. In addition, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi will expand their capabilities to support IoT devices.
Click here for more information, and please contact us if you'd like a copy of this report.
Forrester (Nasdaq: FORR) is one of the most influential research and advisory firms in the world. We work with business and technology leaders to develop customer-obsessed strategies that drive growth. Forrester’s unique insights are grounded in annual surveys of more than 500,000 consumers and business leaders worldwide, rigorous and objective methodologies, and the shared wisdom of our most innovative clients. Through proprietary research, data, custom consulting, exclusive executive peer groups, and events, the Forrester experience is about a singular and powerful purpose: to challenge the thinking of our clients to help them lead change in their organizations.
Sr Public Relations Specialist
Forrester Research, Inc.