Are Great Application Developers Making A Comeback?
"I don’t want 10 developers. I want 3 great ones", is what a client told me when I asked him how his company was responding to the economic crisis. Of course, I think this is good advice even in good times and I think we have gotten away from this is recent years. Why? I think there are couple of reasons:
- Outsourcing changed the focus from finding great developers to hiring large numbers of developers.
- Project managers and business analysts worked their darndest to separate developers from the business problems that develoeprs need to solve. Agile has mitigated this a bit, but treating developers like machines on an assembly has been in fashion for years now.
- There are fewer great developers because back in the day people passionate about software development gravitated towards a career in application development. Now it is a career choice for many and percentage of great developers has been diluted and thus they are harder to find.
I am asking every application development professional I talk to, including you, the following questions:
- Compared to 5 years ago, is application development less difficult, same level of difficulty, or more difficult?
- What qualities make a great application developer?
- What is an example of a great developer in action?
Please let me know your answers. Thanks. Mike.