Best Practices: Five Strategies For Leading Diverse, Distributed Teams To Success
October 29, 2010
Why Read This Report
Leading teams is a job not for the faint of heart — particularly when those teams are multicultural, geographically distributed, and composed of individuals who work for multiple companies with competing priorities. To successfully lead these diverse, distributed teams, your leaders need solid leadership skills and an understanding of development and delivery processes, but that's not enough. They also need improved soft skills and the ability to bridge cultural, geographic, and organizational gaps to bring people together despite differences. Managing diverse, distributed teams challenges many team leaders, but by adopting five best practices — staffing the team thoughtfully, building trust, communicating robustly, managing time zone differences, and using technology wisely — any leader can improve team outcomes, despite diversity.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Tools And Templates
Models and Calculators
- Email, Calendaring, IM, And Document Sharing Are The Most Used Collaboration Tools
Table of Contents
- Leading Diverse, Distributed Teams? Prepare For The Challenge
- Best Demonstrated Practices For Managing Diverse, Distributed Teams
- Best Practice No. 1: Staff The Team Thoughtfully
- Best Practice No. 2: Work Relentlessly To Build Trust
- Best Practice No. 3: Establish Robust Communication Channels
- Best Practice No. 4: Manage Time Zones (Or They Will Manage You)
- Best Practice No. 5: Use Technology To Boost Success
- Managing Diverse, Distributed Teams: A Tough Job, But Not Impossible
- Supplemental Material
- Related Research Documents
Breakout Vendors: Domain-Specific Insights Service Providers
January 10, 2017 | Jennifer Belissent, Ph.D.
The Forrester Wave™: Managed Security Services Providers, North America, Q3 2016
August 30, 2016 | Jeff Pollard
Google-ize Your Site-Search Experience
October 19, 2015 | Anjali Yakkundi