Enterprise Architecture? What's In It For Me?
To Communicate EA's Value, Architects Must Relate It To Stakeholders' Goals
December 21, 2007
Why Read This Report
Enterprise architects know that their EA programs provide significant value to their organizations. But communicating EA's value is challenging: As a strategic activity, it doesn't have the immediate impact of other IT activities, such as implementing new business capabilities through application projects, implementing new infrastructure, or fixing problems. In addition, architecture activities and deliverables can appear abstract and academic to executives constantly looking for bottom-line impact. Successful EA leaders overcome these difficulties only with well-planned and vigorously pursued marketing programs specifically designed to "sell" the value of EA to a variety of stakeholders. The key? Don't sell architecture, sell business capabilities.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Table of Contents
- Decision-Makers Want What They Want — Are EA Leaders Helping Them Get It?
- Best Practices In Conveying EA's Value Focus On Stakeholder Needs
- Best Practice No. 1: Relate Everything To WIIFM
- Best Practice No. 2: Use All The Channels But Rely On One-On-Ones
- Best Practice No. 3: Have An Easy-To-Use EA Portal
- Best Practice No. 4: Run Educational Sessions
- Best Practice No. 5: Make All Discussions Marketing Opportunities
- Next Practices For Communicating EA Value
- Sell The Vision To Sell The Tactics
- Supplemental Material
- Related Research Documents
The IT Strategic Plan Step-By-Step
April 10, 2007 | Alex Cullen
Drive Successful Outcomes With Strategy: Align ECM Programs To Core Business Missions
January 26, 2017 | Cheryl McKinnon
Create A Business Application Road Map For The Digital Age
June 10, 2016 | Paul D. Hamerman