File Storage Costs Less In The Cloud Than In-House
We Calculate A 74% Cost Reduction, But It's Hard To Compare Apples To Apples
August 25, 2011
Why Read This Report
There's a great deal of hype surrounding cloud delivery models of all flavors, with the assumption that it will usher in a new era of cheaper, better IT. But most I&O organizations struggle to compare the capital, operational, and staffing cost differences between internal and cloud storage. This document will break down the cost differences by modeling a common workload — file storage — built and deployed traditionally versus consumed through the public cloud. Our models reveal a significant cost difference, with the cloud-based model coming in 74% less expensive than I&O running it in-house. However, we encourage I&O leaders to use this document and the associated "Cost Analysis Tool: Cloud Versus Internal File Storage" Excel workbook as a tool and methodology for comparison. Customize the tool with numbers from your own environment and make a better decision as to whether cloud file storage makes sense in your business technology environment.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Tools And Templates
Models and Calculators
- It's Easy To Get An Incomplete And Incorrect Comparison Of Cloud And Internal Storage
- Traditional File Storage Systems Are Expensive To Buy And Run
- Cloud Storage Is More Straightforward And A Lot Cheaper Than Traditional Storage
- A Gateway Can Make Cloud Storage More Viable, But Also More Expensive
Table of Contents
- Cloud Storage Is Workload-Specific
- Quick Storage Comparisons Don't Measure Storage Costs Effectively
- An Accurate Comparison Requires A More Detailed Model
- Cloud Storage Offerings Are Still Developing: Use Caution
- Related Research Documents