Product Strategists Want Social Innovation
Social Media Influences Product Design And Product Strategy
June 30, 2010
Why Read This Report
It is common knowledge that marketers are using social media as an influential way to incorporate their messaging into conversations with consumers. Consumer product strategists, less interested in the shaping of public opinion, are now starting to see the benefit of using social media to influence product strategy — both as an effective listening platform and as a means of engaging in a direct dialogue with consumers. Although many consumer product strategy professionals see great potential for using social media in product development, our new survey data tells us that a majority of companies still have much work to do in order to harness the creative energy of the masses. But strategists who put social media to work for themselves can leverage this relatively new channel into an effective tool for product innovation.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Tools And Templates
Models and Calculators
- General Social Media Usage Is More Common Than Product Development Efforts
- Product Strategists Have Different Social Priorities Than Their Companies
- Formal Titles Don't Equate To Formal Processes
- Product Teams Have Yet To Realize The Full Potential Of Social Media
Table of Contents
- Social Media Is Not Just For Marketers Anymore
- Product Teams Don't Often Get The Social Information They Need
- Attitudes Show The Nascence, As Well As Opportunities, Of Social Media
- Put Social Media To Work For Product Strategy And Innovation
- Supplemental Material
- Related Research Documents
Take Advantage: Latin American Consumers Are Willing Co-Creators
May 31, 2011 | Roxana Strohmenger
2011 Mobile Trends
January 24, 2011 | Thomas Husson
Case Study: Co-Creation Provides A Twist To Unilever's Axe Product Strategy
January 7, 2011 | Doug Williams