Smart Computing Drives The New Era Of IT Growth
A New Tech Investment Cycle Holds Seismic Promise — And Challenges
December 4, 2009
Why Read This Report
The technology industry has entered a new cycle of tech innovation and growth, which we are calling "Smart Computing." Like prior cycles of mainframe computing, personal computing, and network computing, Smart Computing will power a seven- to eight-year period when business and government investment in technology grows at twice the rate of the overall economy. Smart Computing will be more complex than what came before — blending elements of hardware, software, and network technologies. Similar to earlier cycles, Smart Computing will grow rapidly because it will help business solve problems that it couldn't address before; in this cycle, Smart Computing will help companies optimize process results and the returns from their balance sheets. Unlike the horizontal technologies of personal computing and network computing, Smart Computing will have a highly vertical industry focus. Vertical solutions will differ significantly from vertical offerings in the past — thus the advent of verticals 3.0 as a result. Tech vendors will have great growth opportunities in this new cycle, but also big challenges in navigating the shift to Smart Computing.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Timely and relevant, Forrester's RoleView research aligns to 13 leadership roles across business and technology management. Our expertise in customer experience, mobile, digital business, and big data will help your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Table of Contents
- Three Reasons Why The Tech Market Will Boom Between 2010 And 2016
- The Tech Market Moves In Cycles Of Tech Growth And Tech Digestion
- Smart Computing, Latest Cycle Of Tech Innovation And Growth, Began In 2008
- The Five A's Of Smart Computing
- Why Smart Computing Will Drive A New Wave Of Tech Investment
- Smart Computing Will Have Biggest Impact As Verticals 3.0 Industry Solutions
- Playing The Angles: Where The Opportunities In Smart Computing Will Lie
- Which Vendors Will Win In Smart Computing?
- Smart Computing Will Force Vendors At All Levels To Rethink Strategies
WHAT IT MEANS
- Smart Computing Will Be A 16-Year Cycle Of Global Technology Change
- Related Research Documents