TV Advertising Budgets Are Under Siege
February 8, 2010
Why Read This Report
Forrester and the Association of National Advertisers (ANA) surveyed 104 US advertisers representing nearly $14 billion in measured media budgets. More than half of them — 62% — told us that TV advertising is less effective than it used to be. That's in line with what they told us in 2008. Advertisers want more accurate measurement and the option for more targeted and clutter-free ad inventory. Meanwhile, US marketers are willing to explore alternatives to the 30-second TV commercial as they shift budget from TV to social media, banners, and search. More forward-looking marketers are ready to experiment with online video ads, branded entertainment, and interactive TV. We recommend that advertisers get ready for the future of television, by preparing to deliver targeted commercials, delivering true branded entertainment experiences, and embracing the connected TV.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Tools And Templates
Models and Calculators
- Television No Longer Gets The Majority Of These Advertisers' Media Budgets
- The DVR Threat Can Wait
- The 30-Second Spot Still Has A Role To Play In TV Advertising
- Frustrations With Existing TV Audience Measurement Solutions Mount
- Media Agencies Still Appear As The Main Partner To Help With Changes In TV Advertising
- Social Media And Online TV Advertising Will Get Advertisers' Attention In 2010
- Branded Entertainment And Interactive TV Will Play A Bigger Role In TV Advertising
Table of Contents
- Advertisers' Disenchantment With TV Ads Is Taking Root
- Media Partners Need To Find Better-Suited Solutions
- Interactive Media And Branded Entertainment Are Benefiting From TV's Decline
- Advertisers Need To Prepare Now For TV's Digital Future
- Related Research Documents
The European Online Display And Social Media Advertising Forecast, 2015 To 2020
December 9, 2015 | Samantha Merlivat
North American Online Display Advertising Forecast, 2014 To 2019
October 6, 2014 | Samantha Merlivat
The New Interactive Agency Landscape
July 17, 2012 | Jim Nail