Web3D: The Next Major Internet Wave
April 18, 2008
Why Read This Report
The Internet is on the cusp of its next major evolution: Web3D. Within five to seven years, Web3D will deliver an interactive, immersive experience much richer than the static, text-oriented or even interactive graphical interfaces of today's Web. In the new world of work that Web3D will enable, people will be represented visually by avatars that can move in space, communicate with others, and interact with objects and information — making the digital world seem more like the real world. Yet Web3D won't leave the old world behind; it will integrate with the Web technologies we use today as well as existing and not yet invented business applications. Workers will use Web3D to teach and learn, innovate collaboratively, communicate and network, interact with and present information, and manage real-world systems.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Timely and relevant, Forrester's RoleView research aligns to 13 leadership roles across business and technology management. Our expertise in customer experience, mobile, digital business, and big data will help your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Table of Contents
- Web3D: The Next Wave Of The Internet Evolution
- What's Propelling Web3D Forward?
- Busting Out Of Today's "Walled Gardens"
- Interactivity + Immersion = Engagement
- During The Next Five To Seven Years, Web3D Will Evolve Quickly
- To Come To Fruition, Web3D Requires Substantial Technology Advancements
- I&KM Pros: Upgrade Technology And Begin To Experiment
WHAT IT MEANS
- Web3D Is Inevitable — The Only Question Is When
- Standards Don't Emerge, Leaving Us With A Universe Of Walled Gardens
- Supplemental Material
- Related Research Documents