Mainframe Migration — Panacea Or Pandora's Box?
A Framework For Mainframe COBOL Migration And Rehosting Decisions
August 17, 2011
Why Read This Report
Business executives want to reduce the recurring costs of their application portfolios any way they can and use the savings to fund new business opportunities and counteract competitive threats. Conversations with Forrester clients through events, inquiry, and consulting are increasingly on the topic of mainframe migration. The catalyst for many of the conversations is a business executive advocating a sweep-the-floor platform migration to alleviate perceived high mainframe costs. Is mainframe migration a panacea for your organization or will it open Pandora's box? Use this framework to help you collect the information you need to make an objective decision.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Table of Contents
- Business Change Prompts Scrutiny Of Application Platform Options
- MIPS Rules Of Thumb Oversimplify A Complicated Question
- Identify Your Options: Complete Migration Or Rehost?
- Identify The Components You Need To Replace
- Identify The Factors That Make Simple Rehosting More Complex
- Beyond The Technical Bits: See The Whole Project, Decide Who Will Manage It
- Filter Out The Bias Of These Platform Personas
- Don't Let Incomplete Answers And Naïve Decisions Threaten Your Career
- Rehosting Can Make Sense, But Recent Announcements Merit Consideration
- Supplemental Material
- Related Research Documents
Quick Take: FireEye Acquires iSight Partners
January 22, 2016 | Joseph Blankenship
The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Video Platforms And Webcasting, Q1 2015
February 3, 2015 | Philipp Karcher
Brief: Analytics Drive The Next Wave Of Dynamic Case Management
August 24, 2016 | Craig Le Clair