Save or Share this Report

For B2C Marketing Professionals

Consumers Are Ready For Home Remote Control

With Entertainment Networks On The Rise, Home Automation Is Next

March 10, 2009

Primary author headshot

Authors

Why Read This Report

Home networks are the foundation of the digital home but are still primarily utilitarian — most networks are erected to share a broadband pipe among multiple PCs, and it's primarily PCs that are connected to them. Yet as consumers accumulate more and more content on their PCs and rely increasingly on the Internet as a source for audio and video, the more enterprising among them seek to enjoy that content on their home stereo or TV by distributing it over a home network. These entertainment networks now comprise 39% of all US online home networks, and the remaining 61% of online home network owners express strong interest in pursuing networked entertainment in the future. Yet consumer product strategy professionals focused on the digital home should not neglect the home automation opportunities that will follow entertainment — consumers are interested in remotely controlling home functions and are willing to pay to do so.

Get Access

Already a Client?

Log in to read this document.

Become a Forrester Client

Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.

Purchase Report

This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).

Purchase

Table of Contents

  • Entertainment-Centric Home Networks Are On The Rise
  • Home Automation Comes Next, And Consumers Want Remote Control
  • RECOMMENDATIONS

  • Success In Home Remote Control Requires Multiple Parties
  • Supplemental Material
  • Related Research Documents