The Personal Cloud: Transforming Personal Computing, Mobile, And Web Markets
An Empowered Report: Sizing The Opportunity As Individuals Embrace New Services For Managing Their Work And Personal Digital Lives
June 6, 2011
Why Read This Report
The personal computing experience for individuals is broken, ruptured by the fragmentation of personal information across PCs and mobile devices and the scattering of content across a multitude of online services. This report for vendor strategists describes the emerging personal cloud ecosystem, which will dramatically transform market opportunities for web properties, PC makers, OS providers, mobile device manufacturers, ISPs and telcos, and enterprise software vendors. We spell out the emerging set of personal cloud core and component services, the three leading players and a variety of contenders, and the range of information types handled by personal cloud services. We forecast the number of users and paying subscribers to personal cloud services through 2016, and break down the business models behind what will become a $12 billion market.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($2495 USD).Purchase
Tools And Templates
Models and Calculators
- US Consumers Experience A Broad Set Of Personal Computing Challenges
- Forecast: US Individuals With Two Or More PCs Or Smartphones Forecast, 2008 to 2016
- Forty-One Percent Of US Information Workers Now Use Personal Cloud Services At Work
- Overall, Twenty-Eight Percent Of All US Online Adults Now Use Personal Cloud Services
- Forecast: US Personal Cloud Subscribers, 2010 to 2016
- Forecast: US Personal Cloud Subscription Revenue, 2010 to 2016
Table of Contents
- The Personal Computing Experience Is A Victim Of Its Own Success
- Introducing Personal Cloud: A New Model For Personal Computing
- Market Forecast: $6 Billion In Direct Revenue And A Total Of $12 Billion By 2016
- User's Personal Clouds Will Contain Many Types Of Information And Content
- Three Players Lead With Broad Capabilities, But Key Startups Drive Innovation
WHAT IT MEANS
- The "P Cloud" Will Transform Markets, Products, And Business Models
- Prepare For Major Opportunity And Turbulence Selling To Individuals
- Supplemental Material
- Related Research Documents
Tablets Will Rule The Future Personal Computing Landscape
April 23, 2012 | Frank E. Gillett
A Practical How-To Approach To Mobile BI
March 3, 2011 | Boris Evelson
Thought Leaders Are Successful Innovators
October 18, 2010 | Tom Grant, Ph.D.