Where In The World?
A Structured Methodology For Prioritizing Geographic Market Entry
July 26, 2010
Why Read This Report
Many technology vendors are going global, seeking new markets to make up for the maturation of traditional ones. And rightly so; our Forrsights Budgets And Priorities Tracker Survey, Q2 2010, found that more than twice as many IT decision-makers in emerging markets, compared with more mature markets, thought that 2010 would be a good year for their industry. And that optimism has translated into IT budgets; higher percentages of emerging-market IT decision-makers expect to increase their IT spending relative to their peers in the UK and US. But market expansion is not necessarily right for all vendors, and, even when it is, identifying the specific opportunities is not straightforward. With their size and economic growth, Brazil, Russia, India and China — the BRIC countries — often top vendors' target lists. But market characteristics, local catalysts, and local business concerns and priorities that drive technology adoption make the calculation more complex. Deciding that geographic expansion is the right strategy comes first, then using a transparent and structured market opportunity assessment helps to identify and prioritize potential target markets.
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Tools And Templates
Models and Calculators
- Forrester's Information And Communications Technology (ICT) Industry Wheel By Region
- Large US Tech Vendors Make The Majority Of Their Revenues Outside Of The US
- Population Growth In Less Developed Regions Eclipses That In More Developed Regions
- Optimism About Industry And Budget Projects Prevails in Emerging Markets
- Market Opportunity Definition Processes Are Judged Less Mature Than Other Functions
- Vendor Strategists Identify Indicators Important To Evaluating Market Opportunity
Table of Contents
- Setting The Tech Industry Stage For Market Opportunity Assessment
- Growth In Emerging Markets Makes Them More Attractive
- But When And Where (And If) Isn't Always Obvious
- Know Thy Markets, But Know Thyself First
- If "Yes," Then Assess
- Never Too Old, Too Young, Too Large, Or Too Small For A Solid MOA Process
- Supplemental Material
- Related Research Documents
The State Of Workforce Technology Adoption: US Benchmark 2011
September 21, 2011 | Ted Schadler
SVM And EA Professionals Must Work Together On Emerging Technology Evaluations
January 26, 2011 | Christopher Andrews
Sourcing Professionals Need To Clarify Their Role In Evaluating Emerging Technology
January 21, 2011 | Christopher Andrews