Green IT Plans And Activities Persist In 2010 Despite Lack Of Formal Budgets And Priorities
Position Green IT As An Enabler Of Broader Business And Technology Priorities
July 27, 2010
Why Read This Report
Although only 26% of organizations have budget directly allocated to green IT, Forrester finds that adoption of green IT is much higher, approaching 70% in areas of the data center and distributed IT. Infrastructure and operations (I&O) professionals should capitalize on green IT's momentum by embedding green IT policies and processes into the procurement, operation, and final disposal of new infrastructure investments in 2010. But as Forrester's CEO George Colony says, "CEOs only care about two things: revenue growth and profitability." While green IT doesn't make that list, I&O leaders can use examples from firms like AT&T, KPMG, Nike, and UPS to demonstrate that green IT initiatives can attract new customers (grow revenue) and reduce companywide costs (drive profitability).
Already a Client?
Log in to read this document.
Become a Forrester Client
Customers are the new market-makers, reshaping industries and changing how businesses compete and win. Success depends on how well and how fast you respond. Forrester Research gives you insights and frameworks aligned to your role to shorten the time between a great idea and a great outcome, helping your teams win in the age of the customer. Contact us to learn more.
This report is available for individual purchase ($499 USD).Purchase
Tools And Templates
Models and Calculators
- Approximately 25% Of IT Organizations Have Budget Specifically Allocated To Green IT
- While Most IT Shops Don't Pay For Electricity, 60% Want To Improve Energy Efficiency
- Server Virtualization Trumps All Other Green Data Center Activities
- Printer Consolidation And PC Power Management Top Green Initiatives In Distributed IT
- Technology Priorities Focus On Consolidating IT Infrastructure And Improving BC/DR
- I&O Professionals Should Weave Green IT Practices Into Infrastructure Investments
Updated Q1 2011: Is Green IT Your Emperor With No Clothes?
February 9, 2011 | Doug Washburn
Executive Spotlight: Top Priorities For IT Infrastructure & Operations Leaders, 2H 2011
September 16, 2011 | Doug Washburn
Focus Your IT Infrastructure And Operations On Customer Obsession, Not Just Cost Savings
July 26, 2011 | Doug Washburn