Forrester’s Board of Clients was in Cambridge last week for an amazingly productive two days of co-creation. Ideas that have come out of the Board in previous years include: the weekly Forrester podcast, the Forrester iPhone app, and Industry Waves. The dinner tradition is that clients recommend their favorite books — there are a bunch this year that are headed directly onto my iPad.
Here’s the list. I hope that you find something here that intrigues you . . .
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. A dying doctor’s account.
- Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives by Michael Newton. Reincarnation.
- Many Lives, Many Masters: The True Story of a Prominent Psychiatrist, His Young Patient, and the Past-Life Therapy That Changed Both Their Lives by Brian L. Weiss. More reincarnation.
- WTF?: What’s the Future and Why It’s Up to Us by Tim O’Reilly. Every techie is reading this one.
- Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, and One Man’s Fight for Justice by Bill Browder. Russia under Putin.
- Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation by George Washington. Yes, that George Washington.
- We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch.
- The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 by David McCullough.
- Hell’s Gate by David Weber. Sci-fi about the collision of multiverses.
- The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland. More good sci-fi.
- Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s by John Elder Robison.
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson. A different way to live.
- Unbeatable Mind: Forge Resiliency and Mental Toughness to Succeed at an Elite Level by Mark Divine. How to perform under stress — great for speech givers.
- The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle.
- Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self by Claire Tomalin. Pepys knew Isaac Newton.
- The Machine: A Radical Approach to the Design of the Sales Function by Justin Roff-Marsh. The future of B2B sales and marketing.
- The Attacker’s Advantage: Turning Uncertainty into Breakthrough Opportunities by Ram Charan. How big companies can become more innovative.
- Before You Know It: The Unconscious Reasons We Do What We Do by John Bargh. Add this to your behavioral economics library.