Our recently released evaluation, “The Forrester Wave™: Unified Endpoint Management, Q4 2018,” uses 28 criteria to evaluate the top 12 unified endpoint management (UEM) solutions on the market today. This was the first year that Forrester evaluated the UEM market, which is an evolution of enterprise mobility management (EMM). Organizations looking to improve employee experience and simplify management can use UEM to solve many of the traditional end-user computing challenges such as device diversity, legacy app distribution, multiple passwords, and cybersecurity threats. UEM addresses these issues by providing:
- A single console for managing traditional and mobile endpoints and newer devices such as Chromebooks and Samsung DeX.
- A unified portal for accessing native, web, SaaS, virtualized apps, and legacy apps.
- Conditional access and risk-based authentication (RBA) to cloud resources, eliminating the need for passwords.
- Protection, detection, and response security capabilities across traditional and mobile endpoints.
There are five Leaders in today’s market: VMware, MobileIron, IBM, Microsoft, and Citrix Systems. These vendors enable I&O teams to:
- Embrace modern management at a comfortable pace.
- Use a breadth of conditional access variables (i.e., device posture, app risk, location, time, etc.) to improve security and access for employees.
- Glean insights from analysis of UEM deployments, using internal or external data.
- Maintain compliance in highly regulated industries such as government and financial services.
Another three vendors — Sophos, BlackBerry, and Matrix42 — are Strong Performers. Ivanti, Jamf, and Cisco are Contenders, while Kaspersky Lab is a Challenger.
With the end of life of Windows 7 quickly approaching, now is the time to consider modernizing your management stack with UEM. If you want to benchmark your current UEM against the providers in our Wave or are looking for a new provider, this Forrester Wave is the best starting point for you. Your criteria may differ, so we recommend that you go beyond the Forrester Wave graphic and:
- Download the Excel sheet associated with the graphic (Figure 2 in the report).
- View the detailed evaluations in the scoring guide.
- Adapt the criteria weightings to fit your needs so you can see customized rankings of the providers.
For more information, Forrester clients may request an inquiry with Andrew Hewitt and Chris Sherman.