Use Forrester’s Assessment To Develop Your Journey-Centric Transformation Roadmap
Journey centricity requires a change in operating model, moving six operational levers in concert, through three phases of transformation: activate, connect, and extend. It requires a clear plan to guide progress across levers, journey teams, and geographies.
CX leaders must steer their firms to:
- Transform through three phases. In the activate phase, you need to identify an executive sponsor, build a strawman journey atlas, and prioritize lighthouse journeys to build success stories. In the connect phase, companies establish executive alignment and embed a universal journey framework more deeply in the organization. In the extend phase, you need a single senior-level journey prioritization forum that informs corporate planning, integrated permanent journey teams, and journey benchmarking and predictive analytics to drive advanced hypothesis testing and optimization.
- Move six operational levers to drive change. Advancing to journey centricity requires moving six operational levers, and it’s best to address them in concert. In reality, most companies have imbalances that mean that some operational levers are more advanced than others. Some firms have CX teams and cross-functional committees (structure) in place but no technology to analyze journey insights at speed and shoddy processes to drive action from those insights. Others invest in journey mapping software before setting up a cross-functional team to operationalize insights. Leading your transformation effectively requires being able to address major imbalances.
It’s Time To Build A Roadmap To Address Gaps And Imbalances In Six Operational Levers
We’ve turned Forrester’s journey-centricity framework into an assessment to help CX leaders gauge the status of key practices for each of the six operational levers. To use Forrester’s journey-centric transformation framework and assessment:
- Read about the journey-centric revolution. This report guides CX professionals through the three phases of the journey-centric revolution.
- Understand how other journey-centric companies have improved. For several years, Forrester has interviewed journey-centric firms to collect best practices on how they shifted focus from channels and touchpoints to journeys. Read related research on journey centricity to learn from leaders about building a roadmap for journey-centric transformation and from Nissan and ON case studies about transforming CX through customer journeys.
- Book a guidance session to learn how and when to use the assessment. A guidance session will help you take stock of where you are, get expert advice on your readiness to embrace a journey-centric transformation, and determine the right time to take the assessment and the people to involve.
- Work with Forrester Consulting to run/analyze the assessment and cocreate a roadmap. Engage the Forrester Consulting team to review relevant documents that explain the existing strategy and journey-centricity initiatives, field a survey to gather insight about each lever and overall maturity, analyze the results, conduct stakeholder interviews to gain deeper insights into the business context, and run workshops to deep dive into bright spots, areas for improvement, and best practices from other organizations, as well as cocreate a roadmap for journey-centric transformation specific to your organization.
What Are The Benefits Of Building A Roadmap For Journey Centricity?
While it’s important to gauge which transformation phase a company is in, the ultimate objective of the assessment is to build a roadmap for journey centricity.
- Which of the three phases of transformation applies to your organization.
- Which operational levers are more and less advanced.
- Validate bright spots and celebrate successes.
- Standardize journey-centricity practices across individual journey teams.
- Prioritize journey-centricity maturity catalysts and avoid pitfalls.
- Uncover areas of misalignment within journey teams to raise awareness and educate.
- Identify focus areas for the central CX team.
So where do you go from here? Listen to this CX Cast episode to hear more about fostering customer obsession through journey centricity. If you’re a Forrester client, check out these brand new reports on journey centricity: Forrester’s Journey-Centric Transformation Assessment And Roadmap Builder and Lessons Learned In Building A Roadmap For Journey-Centric Transformation. You can also reach out for a guidance session or inquiry with me.