Understanding Tag Management Tools And Technology
- Forrester clients. I've been blown away by my clients' accelerating level of interest in tag management. This topic was almost completely nascent just a couple of years ago, and now it comprises a significant proportion of my client inquiries, meetings at events, and consulting engagement discussions.
- Investors. Continuing the trend from last year, capital continues to flow into tag management. Multiple vendors have secured financing rounds this year, including BrightTag and Tealium. Additionally, I'm regularly fielding calls from CEOs and venture capital firms to discuss the tag management market and prospective investments.
- Vendors. As with any early-stage technology market, enterprising vendors and entrepreneurs see opportunity in tag management. In Forrester's original report on tag management, we identified five key vendors, which has grown to 15 vendors in the new report. And the surge isn't over. I expect more vendors to enter the market in the coming months.
- An updated look at the tag management vendor landscape. The rapid growth of tag management brings an explosion in vendor options. This report not only updates the landscape of vendors offering standalone, full-featured tag management systems but also provides a more detailed breakdown of their commercial and technical characteristics. This is designed to provide readers with the information they need to go beyond the marketing hype to differentiate vendors and develop their own vendor selection shortlists.
- Data from TMS users. The report features the results of Forrester's first global survey of tag management users. Tag management is so new that we have previously lacked data from practitioners to validate anecdotal insights and market buzz. This data is crucial for understanding users' motivations, buying requirements, TMS usage patterns, and the benefits of tag management. Readers should leverage the data to validate their TMS requirements and expectations.
- Marketers struggle with complex digital marketing and analytics environments. Customer intelligence and interactive marketing professionals look to tag management systems to help them execute and analyze digital marketing activities in a challenging environment that continuously changes, requires a diverse array of site instrumentation, and lacks rigorous internal processes.
- Tag management systems deliver on the promise of efficiency. Users expect a wide variety of benefits from tag management systems, but ultimately, tag management systems deliver process efficiencies by reducing the effort, resources, and time required to add, edit, and remove tags from sites.
- The early-stage TMS market offers many vendor options. The young TMS market comprises a broad vendor landscape, giving buyers a wide spectrum of price points, feature sets, and technical options to choose from and match to their own requirements.