VP, Principal Analyst
Overcoming The Insights Gaps Of The B2B Revenue Engine
Advanced insights-driven B2B orgs are 2.2 times more likely to drive growth of 10% or more than peer organizations. Find out why in this preview of our Data Strategy & Insights event.
B2B Marketers: It’s Time To Ditch Sourcing Metrics
Marketing sourcing metrics aren't meeting the needs of B2B marketing organizations and continue to fall out of favor. Here's why to ditch them and move on to something better.
What B2B Marketing Leaders Are Measuring: Five Key Takeaways
Instead of asking leaders which metrics they feel are most important, we asked which metrics actually appear on their top-level dashboards. Here's what we learned.
Marketing Operations Leaders: Be Ready for These Four Disruptions
- While the repercussions of the COVID-19 pandemic continue to be felt throughout the economy, a series of predictable effects will be felt within B2B marketing functions
- Marketing operations leaders who anticipate these eventualities will be well positioned to help their organizations respond to challenging situations with speed and agility
- Marketing planning, budgeting, and performance measurement are the expected areas in which marketing operations teams can make the largest impacts
Does Measuring Marketing Sourcing Still Matter?
- The number of B2B marketing organizations consistently reporting on marketing-sourced pipeline and revenue is declining
- A handful of key trends are driving this shift — but is it wise to move away from reporting on marketing sourcing?
- With a more precise context setting, marketing-sourced revenue remains a valuable performance measure for B2B marketing organizations
Great B2B Marketing Measurement Doesn’t Happen by Accident
- B2B marketing leaders rely on a solid system of measurement to drive better decision-making
- Great measurement must be developed to answer key business questions for a properly understood audience of stakeholders
- By following a well-defined process, organizations can achieve aligned measurement that drives better performance
Is Marketing Claiming Victory While Sales Are in the Red?
- To be viewed as an accountable business contributor, marketing must report in a way that’s aligned to business performance
- Misalignment is commonly the result of marketing focusing on performance timeframes that are not matched with the purpose of a specific review meeting
- Marketing leaders must balance reporting to reflect end-of-quarter requirements of stakeholders and the longer time horizons required to run marketing
Three Keys to Making Your Audience-Centric Marketing Approach Stick
- Shifting from a product focus to an audience focus is a top priority of marketing leaders
- Audience-centric approaches depend upon organizational buy-in to become sustainable
- Audience-centric measurement and operations are essential to making audience-centricity stick
What’s the Story on B2B Attribution Technology?
- Marketing attribution technologies are best used to drive a deeper understanding of performance
- Look for attribution model flexibility to ensure that the right questions can be answered
- Demand Waterfall reporting is a fundamental component of some marketing attribution technologies
Measuring Campaigns: Perspectives From Around the Table
- Most companies don’t have a process for understanding what tactics or even programs are supposed to do
- Tipping-point models focus on the most successful tactics for reaching qualification thresholds
- Companies are facing a series of operational issues that need to be worked through, but a lot of progress is being made
Marketing Pipeline Metrics: Restoring Balance
- Marketing sourced pipeline is a common but incomplete way to demonstrate marketing’s contribution
- Measuring marketing’s influence is a reliable way to show that marketing is making a difference
- Influence measurement loses credibility when not linked to business value – but this is correctable
A Truth About Marketing ROI
- B2B marketers are under pressure to demonstrate how their efforts contribute to the business
- Marketing leadership needs a means to evaluate effectiveness of their marketing’s functions
- Evaluate each function based on whether it achieves its customized function goals and helps reach business objectives
Keys to Building Great B2B Measurement
- Best-in-class B2B measurement is the product of a deliberate, process-driven approach
- Using the SiriusDecisions 2015 Summit Measurement Program of the year winner, Dell, we highlight keys to success
- Dell’s case study proves the necessity of custom-fit strategies and best practices to develop measurement programs
Is Your Marketing Measurement Undermining the Buyer’s Journey?
One of the best developments that I’ve witnessed in B2B marketing is the number of organizations now planning marketing approaches around their buyers’ journeys. By working to understand the buyer personas they’re targeting and these personas’ decisionmaking requirements at different points in the buying process, marketers are more effectively connecting with their prospects. Juggling multiple […]
Understanding Your Buyer’s Journey: The Most Important Thing You’re Not Doing
As B2B marketers, we’ve come a long way. We understand our role as helping buyers progress through their buying process. We know that we’re more successful when we align marketing efforts with the ways our prospects prefer to buy as opposed to the ways we want to sell. And to do this, we know we […]
Marketing Analytics: Beware the Black Box
One of the most positive developments in B2B marketing is an increased emphasis on data-driven decisionmaking. Growing numbers of marketing organizations are relying more on data and facts to make their decisions. While many organizations are not as far along as they’d like to be, I’m finding that most marketing leaders’ intentions are in the […]
Marketing Measurement Snake Oil
The Web is littered with prescriptions for what your marketing measurement needs to be like and look like. There’s way too much bad advice being dispensed from sources that you’d expect to be credible. Whether this advice is well intentioned or simply snake oil, B2B marketers need to be able to spot bad measurement advice […]
When Reporting on Marketing Performance, Think Switzerland
From time to time, I’m asked where formal responsibility for marketing measurement should sit within an organization. I have to fight the urge to just blurt out “Switzerland.” While I’m not seriously advocating offshoring your marketing, Switzerland has an historic reputation of remaining neutral in international affairs. And when it comes to desirable characteristics for […]
Sales and Marketing Measurement: Aligned, Not Identical
Most of the marketers I work with have gotten the message: Sales and marketing alignment matters. They’ve accepted the evidence showing that well-aligned organizations perform better. They understand that sales and marketing alignment means that sales and marketing are moving in the same direction and working toward the same end in a coordinated way. But […]