It’s important for organizations to unite around an audience-focused go-to-market strategy. To do this effectively, it’s imperative to get executive buy-in. CEOs have enough on their plates, so how can portfolio marketers get their attention? First, make sure your CEO knows that organizations that put the customer at the center of strategy, leadership, and operations – which Forrester calls customer-obsessed – grow revenue and profitability more than twice as fast as companies that don’t. Focusing on three things will convince your CEO that embracing an audience-focused go-to-market strategy is crucial for business.
To support the gathering of buyer, customer, and market insights, portfolio marketers must work with their marketing operations colleagues to determine the ideal technology. In her latest blog post for Forrester, Katie Fabiszak highlights her upcoming B2B Summit North America session with Barbara Winters.
As organizations prepare for 2021 and beyond, they need to focus on what matters most, which includes examining market trends and understanding buyer needs. Here are the five key actions portfolio marketers must take.
- At Forrester SiriusDecisions Summit 2020, two organizations that exemplify best-in-class portfolio marketing were recognized
- This blog post follows one winner, Kodak Alaris, as it implemented a new worldwide product launch process
- Through implementing best practices, Kodak Alaris saw global adoption and tangible results as it brought a new solution to market
- This year’s Forrester SiriusDecisions Summit recognized two organizations that exemplify best-in-class portfolio marketing
- One of those winners, Atlassian, evolved successfully to an audience-centric go-to-market approach
- Through implementing best practices, Atlassian saw tangible results as it tested buyer-focused messaging
- Disruptive go-to-market change is inevitable and is a factor constantly affecting B2B organizations
- Changes often lead to siloed interpretations that can have a negative impact on the revenue engine’s performance
- When disruptive changes occur, portfolio marketers must take responsibility for determining the impact on markets, buyers, and go-to-market activities
- The coronavirus outbreak will affect all types of businesses — no organization will be immune to its impact
- Portfolio marketers must take action to identify required changes in go-to-market plans
- Key areas for portfolio marketers to prioritize include target audiences, sales impact, buyer’s journey maps, messaging and product launches
- B2B organizations understand that buyer persona development is a critical component of an audience-centric go-to-market strategy
- By implementing best practices, Merrill was able to drive consistency across the product, sales and marketing teams and develop a pipeline of opportunities that represented the right audience
- Merrill successfully established a common language around personas
- Product, marketing and sales leaders need buyer insights to support an audience-centric go-to-market strategy
- Most B2B companies struggle to gather the knowledge and insights needed to become audience-centric
- SiriusDecisions’ Buyer Insights Reports help B2B organizations better understand buyer behaviors and preferences
- Portfolio marketing deserves to have a seat at the strategic table alongside other executives
- Results of a recent SiriusDecisions survey show that organizations that give portfolio marketing a strategic role to lead go-to-market strategy outperform their peers significantly
- Portfolio marketers should own the alignment of product, sales and marketing for go-to-market efforts
- Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to assess and measure the relationship between product management and portfolio marketing
- Standard processes, role clarifications and consistent communication are key elements of a great relationship between portfolio marketers and product managers
- Collaboration improves innovation and the leaders’ ability to successfully bring offerings to market
It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year…For B2B Portfolio Marketers to Wrap Up Some Sales Kickoff Content!
- Sales kickoffs represent an opportunity for portfolio marketers to introduce or reinforce knowledge components that are critical to sales reps’ success
- Different sales audiences must be considered when building the sales kickoff agenda and creating programs for knowledge transfer
- Portfolio marketers must develop a plan and have an active role in the sales kickoff agenda